Watertown City School District uses the Raptor Visitor Management System in all of our schools to strengthen our program of campus safety for students and staff. Part of keeping students and staff safe is knowing who is in our buildings at all times, and the Raptor system will allow us to do that. The Raptor system will better allow us to screen visitors, contractors, and volunteers in our schools and provide us with a safer environment for our students and staff.
Raptor provides an effective way to help schools keep unwanted visitors out while keeping track of those admitted in.
The system will:
- Electronically sign in and sign out visitors,
- Print visitor badges,
- Screen all visitors against the national sex offender database,
- Provide real-time offender alerts.
What to Expect
- Upon being allowed through the exterior door of a district building, visitors will be asked to present a photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Your ID will either be scanned or manually entered into the system at the transaction window in the secure vestibule.
- Once cleared, you will proceed to the main office to retrieve your ID, sign in and receive a pre-printed badge with your photo on it.
- You will then be directed to the appropriate location.
- This badge must be worn at all times when in the building.
- When in the building, you are only approved to go to the specific location requested. You should not go to any other area of the building without returning to the main office for approval.
- When leaving the building, return to the main office, turn in your badge and sign out.
What if I do not have a US Government ID?
- If a parent or guardian for any reason does not have a US government-issued ID, the school staff member can use an alternate photo ID.
- In this case the visitor must present their non-US government photo ID as well as a second ID with their name on it, such as a bank card or credit card.
- As long as we have two forms of identification, one with a photo, we will manually enter the person’s name into the Raptor system.
What does the Raptor® System do?
- The Raptor® system will check to ensure that registered sex offenders are not entering our school campuses without our knowledge. The Raptor® system checks the visitor’s name and date of birth for comparison with a national database of registered sex offenders. The registered sex offender database is the only official database checked by the Raptor® system. No other data from the ID is gathered or recorded and the information is not shared with any outside agency.
- The Raptor® system will check for court issued custodial orders, restraining orders and other custom alerts as established by the District.
- Once entry is approved, Raptor® will issue a badge that identifies the visitor, the date, and the purpose of his/her visit.
What if I am just dropping off something for my child at the office?
- The same process will be followed, but a visitor’s badge will not be necessary for those who visit our schools simply to drop off an item in the office or pick up paperwork. You will be expected to immediately vacate the building.
What if I am picking up my child early?
- Upon entering a district building, visitors will be asked to present a photo ID such as a Driver’s License or passport.
- Your ID will either be scanned or manually entered into the system.
- Once cleared, your child will either be called down to the main office from their current location or you will be issued a badge to pick up your child at the nurses office or attendance office.
- If issued a badge, you must return to the main office to sign out.
What about evening events?
- We will not be scanning IDs for events held at the buildings after school hours.
Attached (linked below this letter) you will find a frequently asked questions and answers document for additional information. The safety of our students is our highest priority and the Raptor® visitor management system allows us to quickly identify those that may present a danger to our students. Thank you in advance for your understanding and your support in enhancing the school safety protocols in our district.
How will the policy be communicated to internal staff?
Staff will be provided a copy of the public communication letter. Building administration will review procedures at a staff meeting annually.
How will the policy be communicated to the community?
A letter will be mailed or carried home to all parents and guardians. Information will be sent via electronic notifications and placed on the District website.
What does the Raptor Visitor Management System do?
The Raptor® Visitor Management System screens against the national sex offender registry for every visitor based on first name, last name and date of birth. The Raptor system will also screen against custom alerts the district/school configures, such as, non-custodial parents/guardians, non-trespassing orders, etc.
What information will the Raptor system collect from scanning the ID?
The Raptor system only collects the first name, last name, date of birth, partial ID# and picture. Raptor DOES NOT keep a copy of the ID.
What forms of ID will the district accept?
The Raptor system can read 2D barcodes and/or Machine-Readable Zones (MRZ). However, Watertown City School District may accept and manually enter first name, last name, and date of birth from ID’s such as passports and ID’s issued from foreign countries.
The Preferable ID is a driver’s License or passport issued in the United States.
If a driver’s license or passport is not available, an alternate picture ID accompanied by a second form of ID, such as a bank card or credit card with the same name on it will be permitted.
Which visitors will be scanned (i.e., courier, a parent dropping off lunch, all visitors, anyone going beyond the front office, etc.)?
All persons seeking access to any part of our buildings during the school day other than the main office will be scanned.
What will happen if the person does not have a valid form of ID that the district/school accepts?
No access to the building will be allowed.
What if a parent refuses to present their ID?
No access to the building will be allowed.